How to become an SEO Expert in India
Here’s a fun fact: around 2 million blogs are published every day on the internet. So, technically if you’re publishing content on your website, you’re competing with millions of pages every second. Sounds scary? Well, it doesn’t have to, if you take out the time and effort to invest in a foolproof SEO strategy.
The term SEO has become part of every Digital Marketer’s vocabulary. But what does it mean? Search engine optimization is nothing but an organic, unpaid method to improve your rankings on search engines to get more visitors to your website and interact with your content in a way that is both engaging as well as rewarding.
Implementing a sound SEO strategy is like running a marathon. It’s steady, incremental, and long-drawn. But the rewards are nothing less than satisfying.To run this marathon, companies and agencies require SEO specialists. Someone who understands the nuances of how SEO works and what it takes to scale up organic efforts.
Today, there is a huge demand for SEO specialists as the world turns more and more digital. If you want to be part of this exciting metamorphosis and contribute through solid expertise on SEO, here’s what it takes to become a successful SEO specialist:
1. Learn the basics:
One cannot master a skill without getting the fundamentals right. So, if you are new to SEO, the first step is to find out everything you can about SEO. Do thorough research on what is SEO and why it's so important. Find out the different ways through which users interact with content on the internet and what drives users to visit some websites over others. Content marketing is an integral part of SEO and the two go hand in hand.
While learning the basics of SEO, here are some things you must focus on:
- Content - Content is the single most important factor that drives SEO results for any website. You need to learn the different forms of content that are out there - including blogs, guest posts, infographics, video content, and much more. Once you get a good understanding of various content buckets, you’ll understand how to target your SEO efforts better.
- Search engines - You don’t have to know every single Google algorithm out there, but having a good overview of how search engines work is important. Since good content and search engine rankings are synonymous, knowing the tricks and trade of SERP helps a lot.
- Technical optimization tools - There are several tools that help you optimize content, find new keywords, and analyze problems on your website. Familiarize yourself with these tools.
2. Take up an SEO course:
Several leading SEO websites offer SEO certification courses and digital marketing courses to equip you with necessary skills and tools that will help you in your SEO efforts in the future. These courses range from elementary to advanced and cater to people at all levels on their SEO mastery journey. Since you are looking to become an SEO specialist from scratch, a good SEO certification course in the basics of SEO is just what you need to get started and open yourself up to new job opportunities.
Digigrad is one such platform that offers an excellent course on SEO. Here you will learn about the various types of SEO and the techniques involved under each one to ensure you come out well with top rankings for your website on search engines like Google.
Some techniques you’ll learn include:
- Keyword research and optimization
- Performing an SEO audit
- Link Building opportunities
- Writing optimized content
- Competitor analysis
A good SEO certification course will cover all these topics in detail.
3. Learn Google Analytics and Google Search Console:
If you want to learn SEO, you should have a penchant for numbers. You should enjoy working with data and interpreting data to come up with interesting insights. The value lies in these insights and these insights are what make all the difference to your website performance. To become an SEO specialist you will need to master both Google Analytics as well as Google Search Console.
How will Google Analytics help you?
- Helps understand traffic patterns on your website. You’ll know who is coming to your website, who’s coming there organically, and who isn’t.
- Gives you insights into user behavior, demographics, geography and much more
- Gives you performance indicators on how your website is doing and also helps you set goals for the future
- It also tells you which pages are the most visited and how users are interacting with your content.
Why should you learn Google Search Console?
- Helps you find errors on a website and fix them
- Can find out how many people are visiting your website
- Popular pages, devices through which your website gets traffic and much more
Now do you understand why it's so important to understand data to be an SEO specialist? No data, no insights!
4. Work with a marketing agency:
One of the best ways to learn SEO is to just...get your hands dirty. It's okay if you don’t know everything about SEO when you get started. There’s always room to learn and grow. You may not get to work on major projects but you will get an opportunity to intern and assist an SEO expert in a marketing agency. This would be a great learning experience for you to help you get a holistic view of the role and help you achieve your dream of becoming one of the best SEO experts in the country! SEO is highly specialized and through a hands-on practical experience, you’ll figure out what you like, what comes naturally to you, and where you need to improve. You can also take up freelancing SEO jobs to get your hands in the pie!
5. Stay up to date with SEO trends:
Google has something new to offer every day. It's changing so rapidly, that keeping up with these trends is quite difficult. But half your job is done when you subscribe to top SEO journals and websites so that all these updates end up directly in your inbox. Knowledge is a powerful tool, and the more you know, the more you can experiment and implement these insights into your job as an SEO specialist.
Several websites such as Moz, Ahrefs, etc which also serve as SEO tools, have excellent blogs that provide really useful information on SEO. You can search for other such great content and subscribe to their newsletters to stay updated.
The economy has taken an unprecedented turn due to COVID-19 and businesses have been badly hit. When offline operations have ceased and businesses are on tight budget constraints, your online presence becomes the acme of your business. So, how can you stay relevant during these tough times? The answer lies in organic efforts which can happen only through a strong SEO strategy.
Do you see how important SEO is, especially in a cash-strapped, uncertain economy?
Being an SEO specialist has tremendous potential in today’s world. In fact, SEO and digital marketing makes or breaks a business online.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up for Digigrad’s SEO certification course on how to become an SEO specialist and get started. Here you’ll personally learn SEO from top industry experts and get a 360 degree understanding of SEO. You receive a certification, which gives you all the credibility you need to show off your SEO skills and get started on your journey as an enterprising SEO specialist!